[Towertalk] 30 Meter Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 30 Meter Beam
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:43:07 -0600
Hi Tom,

I would start by removing the Capacity Hats,
then slide the element tips in until you obtain
resonance at the desired frequency.  Tune
the reflector to be 3 to 5% long.

You can grid dip the reflector (standing alone)
by placing a wire across the center of the
element using a pair of hose clamps and
putting a one or two turn coil in the middle.

The element will need to be reasonably
high above ground, say 30 ft or more to
prevent detuning by the earth.  If there is
not enough tuning range, it may be necessary
to use a coil with fewer turns.

It is probably easier to retune linearly loaded
elements such as the HyGain, KLM, and F12
by simply placing a jumper across the linear

It appears that a 2L30 can be placed inside the
elements of a 2L40 with little or no interaction,
assuming the Boom is strong enough.

Tom  N4KG