[Towertalk] Hand winches??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hand winches??
From: FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com (FireBrick)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:59:46 -0600
Sorry, no picture.
I should take one some day.

But I have one of the old Wilson 55' rotatable towers.
The winch is mounted to a 8" piece of channel steel.
Just in case your not familiar with steel nomenclature,
a 'channel' looks like a [
The channel is secured to the bottom section with 2 large U bolts just about
the base fixture.
The winch is bolted to the channel.

The winch was originally hand operated but the gearing is such that it took
little strength but much endurance to raise and lower.
The shaft that accepted the cranking handle was too large for the 1/2" chuck
but a local machine shop made me an adapter that fit on the shaft and was
turned down to a diameter that the Milwaukee drill would accept.
The adapter still allowed the use of the hand crank in case of power outage.

Presently, the drill just hangs from the shaft/chuck, one hand on the switch
and one on the side handle is easily sufficient to hold the drill.
But I intend to weld up a bracket so one hand will be sufficient.
As the winch has that gearing type that it will not freewheel, releasing the
switch allows the winch to hold fast.

The Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill is $350 approx. at Home Depot, the winch I got
for free. So economically it's cheap.
Plus you have this powerful right angle drill for drilling those holes to
run coax through. :-))

The only caveat is that my Wilson self supporting, rotatable does NOT have
positive pulldown.
So care and patience is called for when retracting during windy conditions.