[Towertalk] Shunt feed tower - Again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Shunt feed tower - Again
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:09:35 -0000
Forgive me, I know this subject has cropped up several times here.  I am
hoping someone among you tower-talkians can give me some guidance on what my
next move should be.

I have a crank up tower which is about 65ft fully extended, on top of which
I have 18ft of HD stub mast.  At 65ft I have dipoles for 160m and 80m, at
67ft a F12 C31XR, at 76ft a Cushcraft XM240 and at 85ft a 5 ele 6m yagi.

I am trying to shunt feed the tower for 160m.  As I want to retain the 80m
and 160m dipoles at this stage, I have fitted each of them with decoupling
traps resonant at 1830 kHz.  I have dropped a shunt wire from 65ft at a
distance of 30 inches from the tower.

Results so far:

The lowest SWR I can get at 1830 kHz is 2:1, which I get with 225 pf of
series capacitance.

The frequency on which I can get my minimum SWR of 1.3:1 is 2220 kHz with a
series capacitance of 100 pf.

Bringing the shunt wire closer to the tower brings down the frequency at
which I can get minimum SWR, however the minimum SWR increases as I go away
from 2220 kHz.  I have tried a shunt capacitor and this produces roughly the
same effect.

At this point I am unsure whether to reduce shunt height, alter shunt
spacing or attach some light weight alloy tubing to the top of the stub mast
to increase overall height.  Perhaps I will need to do all three?

Every time I need to make an adjustment I have to crank the tower down, luff
it over and partially dismantle my C31XR and XM240 so I can reach the parts
I need to adjust.  As you will understand, I'm rather keen to minimise the
number of times I have to do this.

Words of wisdom gratefully received.

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F