[Towertalk] Rotor Removal from tower: Is there an easier way?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rotor Removal from tower: Is there an easier way?
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:33:08 -0000
I added a winch to the top of my LM-470 so I can raise the mast up far
enough to allow easy removal of my T2X (or lower the mast down far enough to
work on the antennas).  I also installed a U bolt on the mast a couple of
inches above the top of the rotator to fasten the winch cable to.  I run
stacked 4 element monobanders that make the winch almost a necessity.  The
winch and mounting is very similar to the one US Tower sells.

Also, my thrust bearing carries the weight of the mast and antennas.  I have
found that by suspending the rotator from the mast (rather than having the
weight of the mast on the rotator) the brake wedge does not stick.

I still tear up the gears in the T2X, probably because I reverse the antenna
before it comes to a full stop.  I am working on a Rotormapic (recent QST
article) that the software author has included a "rotation reverse delay" at
my request.  Never had the gear problem with my old Ham-M, probably because
the motor doesn't have enough torque to strip them when I hit the reverse to
soon.

de Paul, W8AEF