[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 07:46:35 EST
In a message dated 12/22/02 06:03:39 Central Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> I find that normal spinning reel drag is enough to cause the
> knots to untie, and goodbye weight.  What's a good knot to use in this
> situation?  Will a bowline work or do I need something special?

Hi Pete,

You should get a bunch of different opinions on this.
I like a short hangman's knot. 3 to 5 turns instead of 13 (hi).
With a bit of practice it's another knot that you can tie without thinking
about it.
Will NOT come apart. I usually just cut the line near the knot then pull it
off when I'm done.
My brother-in -law and I used to fish a lot. He used some of the fancy knots
that they show you in magazines, etc. I've never lost a fish to a busted
knot. Jim can't say that. ;-)

Once I get my weight back to the ground I tie parachute cord to the fishing
line (Becket's bend with a figure 8 knot on the end of the parachute cord)
and tape the splice with a bit of electrical tape (so the knot won't hang on
those darned little branches).
The parachute cord has a 550 lb rating and holds 80 meter dipoles made with
#12 wire just fb. Use a rather stiff bungy cord on both ends if you're using
trees for supports. (Trust me on this!)

The main trick with knots is to tie them the same way everytime, once you've
got it right. There's a lot of good information about knots on the internet.
"Chapman - Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling" is a great book to add
to your library, btw. There certainly are others that deal with rope, lines,
and knots.

Have fun with Marlinspike Seamanship (rope, lines, & knots).
A Google search for Marlinspike Seamanship will also get you a bunch of info.

73, Don - K4BEV

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---