[Towertalk] Disassembling Al elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Disassembling Al elements
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:32:25 -0800
> NOTE:  You may find in this step that you may also have to heat up the
larger
> diameter tubing just a little bit with a propane torch for real sticky'
> situations. Once hot, another hit or two in the vise will do the trick!
Don't
> worry, the heat will heat up the outer tubing at a greater rate than the
> inner tube, if the heat is applied cautiously back/forth.  You don't have
> get the tubing too hot for this to work. I use common leather work gloves
> handle the tubing to prevent burns.  (I only resort to heat when the
> heat-less method fails!)

I am not a metallurgist, but I would be careful about getting the tubing too
hot as you might weaken the alloy (others more knowledgeable in this
area might want to comment). I would guess that moderate heat (under
100 deg C) should be fine. I would keep the torch moving back
and forth quickly so as not to create any "hot spots" that might turn
into failure points later on.

Good Luck!

Mike,