[Towertalk] 450 line strain relief

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 450 line strain relief
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 11:30:05 -0800
At 09:37 PM 2003-01-01 +1300, Barry Kirkwood wrote:
>Thanks very much to all who contributed on this topic.
>My ladder line danced about madly in the breeze. Am looking at about 70ft
>vertical drop, so stablisation might be a good idea.

Try putting a twist in the ladder line to avoid the dance by the wind.  You
can see how this works by observing the tie-downs on a large flatbed
trailer with tie-downs.  The ones with no twist try to 'plane' in the air
as the truck moves, then the tension pulls it back.  The ones with a twist
of just a half twist over the short length barely move.  My long line has a
number of twists in the 30ft slopping (?) drop.  Very little dancing, just
some graceful long moves.

Chris opr VE7HCB