[Top] [All Lists]

[Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip?

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip?
From: (Roger)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:40:00 +0000
I contacted PLP branch here in Brazil. The sales representative told me 
that "Big Grips" are only available for EHS cable diameters equal or 
greater than 1/2". They simply do not produce smaller Big Grips. This can 
be confirmed at

For smaller diameters he said that their product is the "Guy Grip". So, as 
my guying cable is 3/16" EHS, 6 X 7, the recommended product is "Guy Grip" 
GDE-1102... But this one must not be used for guying towers... (from PLP 
web site: "Big-Grip Dead-end is recommended for guying metal towers and 

The tower to be guyed is a 20 meters high tower, with a XM-240 and a A4WS 
on top. If I follow the manufacturer guidelines, I'll have to throw away my 
brand new 590 feet spool of 3/16" EHS and buy 1/2" EHS (and corresponding 
Big Grips)!! Of course, I won't do this, no way. This does not make any 
sense. I can't believe that PLP thinks that ALL towers in the world will 
use at least 1/2" cable... of course they know about radio amateur stations 
and that most use 3/16". There must be an explanation.

To make things even more confuse, Rohn catalog shows Big Grips BG2142 for 
3/16" wire rope:
Perhaps this Big Grip is from another manufacturer, not PLP.

Trying to get correct info on grips is not that easy.

73 Roger - PY1OL 

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>