[Towertalk] Ham IV vs. Ham M

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ham IV vs. Ham M
From: (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:16:43 -0600
I did some reading and one of the major differences appears to be that the
Ham IV uses a stainless steel ring gear as opposed to the pot metal gear.
The rotor I bought was just rebuilt with the stainless steel gear.  So that
looks like a good thing.

The only other difference I can see in these is that there were some changes
made to the wedge brake.

The question I have no is what my rotor currently on my tower is!  I'll have
to wait until spring when I do some antenna work to see what the stamp on
the bottom of the rotor is!

I was hoping one could tell just from physical appearance.

on 1/17/03 11:15 AM, Dale L Martin at wrote:

>> I just bought a Ham M off eBay and got it today.  It looks just
>> like my Ham
>> IV or at least what I thought was a Ham IV.
>> What's the difference and how can I tell?
>> 73,
>> Jon
>> NA9D
> Jon,
> What's the stamped code say on the bottom of the rotator? (if it has a
> bottom mast clamp assembly, remove it to expose the flat bottom)
> I have a Ham-M here in the shack that says: H IV S1 Nov 88
> Meaning: Ham-IV, Series 1, November 1988
> Now.  Whether it is actually a Ham-M or a Ham-IV, I can't say.  It was sent
> in for refurbishment a few years ago.  I don't know whether the bottom is
> the original bottom or not.  Also, when I bought the rotator (actually, I
> bought the house and the tower, rotator and a TH7 came with it), I was told
> it was a Ham-M.  :-)
> I have a Ham-IV up on the tower that says: H4 S1 Jul 80.  It was in for
> service recently before replacing the "Ham-M" and I specifically asked for
> confirmation it was a Ham-IV.  They (MFJ/Hy-Gain) didn't respond to that
> request.
> Check this out:
> Norm's Rotor Service - Identifying Your Rotor
> 73,
> dale, kg5u

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!