[TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switches

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switches
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue Feb 4 14:13:24 2003
Homebrew switches using relays do not fare well at VHF, and less so at UHF.
Relay and wiring reactance takes over pretty quickly.  Even using small form
factor relays interconnected by a good circuit board layout such as
Ameritron does, performance drops off pretty quickly above 144 MHz for the
"control line" version, and the "biased through the coax" version is worse.

For VHF-UHF remote antenna switching, I'd go with surplus Transco motorized
coaxial switches.  Pretty much what everybody uses at VHF and above, most of
the Transcos are good to at least 2 GHz, some higher.

-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill