[TowerTalk] Balun for Carolina Windom 160

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun for Carolina Windom 160
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Feb 7 14:32:01 2003
Here's what I do:

Take a 500 Ohm, 2W linear taper carbon potentiometer wired as a rheostat
(center and one end terminal shorted together) and wire it across the
"unknown" terminals of the balun using the shortest possible, low inductance
wiring (I usually just use 1/2" wide copper strap, each strap being about an
inch long or so -- long enough to reach the balun terminals).

Plug MFJ259B into the "coax" (presumably 50 Ohm) port of the balun, and tune
it for a low frequency like 2 MHz.  Turn the potentiometer for a dip in SWR
read by the 259B.  If it dips all the way down to 1:1, great.

Now, disconnect the potentiometer leads from the balun and measure DC
resistance with an Ohmmeter.  Whatever it reads is the secondary impedance
of the balun when its primary is connected to 50 Ohms.

Works like a charm.  If you have the 259B, total cost of the setup is about
$2, for the potentiometer.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill