[TowerTalk] compass question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] compass question
From: (Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604)
Date: Mon Feb 10 19:37:49 2003
The easy way for me is to know that the magnetic north pole is in
northern central Canada.  That means that true north is 10 degrees to
the right of magnetic north where you are.

This  might help:

And this page has a good map that shows the relationship clearly:

73, doug

   From: "RICHARD BOYD" <>
To: <>
   Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:57:38 -0500

   No, this is not the perennial finding true north question.  In my
   area, Maryland, the "magnetic deviation" is about 10 degrees.  I
   can never remember, though, if that means when I have my compass
   out I should let the needle come to a stop on 350 or on 10 to have
   zero pointing at true north.  Magnetic north is where the needle
   will point, obviously, and true north is 10 degrees off from that,
   but I can never remember which way.  ?  73 - Rich, KE3Q