[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Need engineering calcs for Tri-Ex W-67 (or W-51)

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need engineering calcs for Tri-Ex W-67 (or W-51)
From: (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu Feb 13 12:17:57 2003
At 10:27 AM 2/13/2003 -0500, wrote:
>In a message dated 2/13/03 7:01:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> > I have now gotten the official word from my township that I need the calcs
> >  and a PE seal on them for my tower permit.  So, I am hoping that somebody
> >  out there has a copy of the original calculations done by Tri-Ex for the
> >  W-67 tower.  I am willing to pay for a copy (or pay more for the original
> >  documents if someone wants to sell them) so that I can then take them 
> to a
> >  NJ PE and get him to review and put his seal on.  If somebody has the 
> W-51
> >  calcs I am willing to pay for a copy of those if I can not get the W-67
> >  drawings.
>     Typically when a building department wants calcs, that means they want a
>PE (from YOUR state) stamped package that includes the calcs and base design
>and complies with current building regs. You can find VCE's (Volunteer
>Consulting Engineers) on the ARRL website.
>     I would think that the old factory calcs were based on ancient 
> standards,
>windspeed ratings, and building regs. (They used to be rated at 50 MPH - the
>MINIMUM in the US now is 70 MPH.) So I don't think they're going to do you
>much good. OTOH they might accept them (stranger things have happened!).

Or, your local PE, after reviewing the old calcs, might find that the 
design meets the new standards, as well as the older ones. Or, for 
instance, you might find that the maximum antenna area might need to be 
reduced for new codes/regs, but otherwise the tower is sound.

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>