[TowerTalk] Digging the hole - WARNING

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole - WARNING
From: (
Date: Thu Feb 20 14:54:23 2003
In a message dated 2/20/03 5:03:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,

> Just wandering how long (in hours perhaps) it will take to dig 4 X 4 X 6
>  feet deep hole in medium to heavy clay using just hand tools like a
>  shovel and stuff by one person.

    Just wanted to mention that digging a hole like this is potentially
DANGEROUS due to side sloughing. OSHA rules (that don't apply to
non-professionals like TowerTalkians but are pretty good rules to observe)
stipulate that any hole deeper than four-feet be shored up.

    Personally I prefer wider, shallower holes that are easier to deal with,
are safer, and request my engineering plans accomodate this type of design.

Steve     K7LXC