[TowerTalk] Support Request

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Support Request
From: (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Wed Feb 26 10:01:50 2003
Re: Bi-Annual Subscription Request & Users

I have been hosting the and web sites and mailing lists
on my network since 1996.  In the beginning, my company (Akorn Access) provided
the hosting for free.  Since we started the web site two years ago and
began to accept advertising, eHam has been able to pay a small amount each
month toward the hosting costs.

Today, and steadily consume more than a T-1 of
bandwidth.  Combined, the two sites deliver well over 4 million pages and push
more than 200 gigabytes of data each month.  The success of both sites and all
of the mailing lists are demanding more and redundant bandwidth.   However, we
face the question of how to pay for it.

The cost to host this level of bandwidth most anywhere else would exceed $2000
per month.  eHam is currently paying only $250.00 per month, which leaves Akorn
Access out of pocket for at least $23,700 per year.

In the past, I have been able to cover these costs because Akorn was doing well
enough in other areas and the utilization was not as high.  With the recent
slow down in the economy and our changing Internet access business, Akorn is
unable to continue this level of support.

Many potential advertisers are engrained in their print advertising, and refuse
to acknowledge the Internet as a viable method of promoting their products.  We
continue to sign up new advertisers, but not at the same rate as the bandwidth

So, I'm reluctantly forced to turn to the users of both sites for ongoing

We have an annual subscription program at for users to help pay for
the site operations.  We don't define the amount of the subscription, but
rather suggest that each user define for themselves the site's value, and
consider their own financial ability to subscribe.    We suggest comparing how
much time you spend reading QST or CQ magazines with how much time you spend
reading,, or the various mailing lists when making your

You can help by subscribing at  If you
are unable to contribute by credit card, you can send a check to, 5095
Hamptons Club Drive, Alpharetta, GA  30004.

Many thanks & 73

Bill Fisher, W4AN