[TowerTalk] Clever Solution for moving a tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clever Solution for moving a tower
From: (Paul Playford)
Date: Thu Feb 27 00:40:26 2003
I used an inexpensive trailer I obtained from the guy that used to supply
trailers to K-Mart.  It came as just a frame kit, no box.  I picked up a
couple pieces of UniStrut from Home Depot, bolted two 3' long pieces to the
trailer and two 2' long pieces to the trailer tongue.  Made 4 large U Bolts
from 1/4" threaded rod and used the to secure the tongue to the bottom end
of the tubular tower and the trailer frame to the other end of the tower.
Then I used a motorcycle hold down strap to secure the inner tower sections
of the tower so they would not come out, hung a red flag on the end of the
tower and away I went.

These trailers are usually available for less than $200 new.  I have moved
several towers with this set-up, all the way up to 150 feet of Rohn 45G and
several 70 foot crank-ups.

de Paul, W8AEF