[TowerTalk] SWR question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR question
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Fri Feb 28 20:55:13 2003
> An interesting question for you armchair lawyers out there: Does the
> FCC's peak-transmitted-power limit of 1500 watts refer to the forward
> power somewhere, or to the _net_ forward power?
>
> IMO, the FCC regulation _must_ refer to _net_ forward power because
> forward power can be almost anything, depending on where you measure
> it, for a given transmitter power, for a given radiated power, or for
> a given power delivered to the antenna.

Or, more in keeping with this discussion, does the FCC reg apply to "active"
but not "reactive" power.. The reactive power being that which is
circulating between antenna (and it's near field, presumably) and the Tx,
along with any tuning components.

In the broadcast world, since they look at field strength in the far field,
it would be active power... but for amateurs?  Granted, we've come a ways
since "DC power to the final input stage".