[TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Mar 5 08:40:47 2003
At 05:21 AM 3/5/03 -0800, dan bookwalter wrote:
>wait for a
> > moment with no wind, and voila.
>
>in my experience once you get above the tree line the
>wind NEVER stops... i was amazed the first time i
>worked on a 100+ footer it was really calm on the
>ground but around 70-80 ft it was 15-20mph
>constantly... just drop a light rope from the top and
>watch the arc down to just below the average tree line
>where it comes back into the tower...
>
>just my .02/experience...

I'm sure these things vary a lot, but in this area at dawn most mornings it
is dead calm.  I have been up on my tower (only 97') under those
conditions, and it's quite wonderful.  I agree, though, that there is
*usually* a tangible wind up top.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm