[TowerTalk] Speaking of Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Speaking of Vertical
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed Mar 5 14:02:24 2003
Generally the relative level of electric field of the vertical
component is given by cosine of the angle of the radiator
relative to zenith. Thus for a 5 degree angle, the loss
in the power pattern of the vertical polarized component
will be:

Atten = 20*log[cos(5)] = -.03 dB

for 15 degrees slant we get:

Atten = 20*log[cos(15)] = -0.3dB

At 45 degrees the theoretical loss is -3dB, but there may
be some additional loss due to the changes in antenna
efficiency as the radiation resistance of the antenna is
effected by proximity of the wire to the ground.

In short, as long as the antenna is mostly vertical, you won't
see much effect.