[TowerTalk] 3 Ele 40 of Choice?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 3 Ele 40 of Choice?
From: BobK8IA@aol.com (BobK8IA@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 06:03:39 2003
In a message dated 3/11/2003 9:41:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
rich@n7tr.com writes:

> Looking at the 3 Element 40 meter beams between Force 12 and M2.  Seems to
> be a vast difference in price.  What are the comments and experiences out
> there and overall recommendations for a solid 3 Element 40 Meter Beam...
>
> Looking to install one at 150ft...But ultimately will be stacking.
>
> Thanks...
> Rich N7TR
> www.n7tr.com

Hi Rich;

You may wish to include the M2 40M4L in your analysis as the boom length vs
boom length comparison to F12 MAG 340N is a "straddle" deal. (MAG340N has a
35' boom and M2 40M4L is 42' boom while 40M3L is a 30' boom and MAG 240N is a
24' boom).

Anyhow, I just finished construction on a M2 40M3L here and will be getting
it and my new tower up in the next week or so. Unfortunately height limit
here is 75' so I wont be able to give you performance impressions akin to
what you will have at 150' ft, ;-)

Several folks here nr in the Phoenix area, notably KC7V and K1MY, have M2
40M4L antennas up at decent heights and are quite pleased. You may wish to
email them.

As far as the construction goes I can only give you my experiences. I havent
built a MAG340N but do hear they, like all the rivetted antennas, go together
very quickly. I also hear that they need a bunch of trips up and down the
tower to tune things but eventually play quite well for the owners. Local
here, K7KR, has one.

The 40M3L kit has LOTS of pieces, something that KLM/M2 have been noted for
over the years, hi. I built it a hour or two at a time and it probably took
me 10-12 hours all totalled. Hardware is all 304 stainless, nice stuff. There
were several small mistakes/omissions in the assembly manual but none of
these were a big deal or cost me any significant time. Just obvious stuff if
you are an experienced antenna builder. In addiiton, I did have a inadequate
swedged boom half section that needed replacing. In defense of M2 though,
Matt and Wyatt worked with me through the small difficulties and even quickly
sent me a properly machined half boom section so I could complete the antenna
quickly. No problems with them at all!

Performance-wise, I guess you should ask me again in a couple of months, ;-)

Good luck, and let me know what you find out. TNX.

73,Bob K8IA
Mesa, Arizona USA
near the Superstition Mtns