[TowerTalk] Shack ground disconnect?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shack ground disconnect?
From: dick@twohams.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Sat Mar 15 12:44:49 2003
I don't know whether the cow/lightning story is real, but the premise is
valid and well-known.  There have been documented cases where horse-mounted
police had their horses die under them as they approached an electrical
source that was shorted to ground.  The electrical potential radiated out
through the soil from the power source, high near the source and lowering
as the distance increased.  Since a horse's front and rear feet are
relatively far apart, as the horses approached the electrical source, the
potential under their front and rear feet was sufficiently different to
cause a current flow through their body that killed them.  In one incident,
two horses died before someone realized what was happening.

The whole idea of a common point ground is to remove this potential (no pun
intended).

73, Dick