[TowerTalk] Tilt over Rohn 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilt over Rohn 25
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 09:52:53 2003
In a message dated 3/19/03 7:03:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
k2kir@telenet.net writes:

> Same goes for the Rohn foldover.  A disaster waiting to happen....

    I totally agree. I've rarely seen a Rohn foldover that wasn't damaged at
some point.

    I keep reading about the "advantages" of tilting a tower over for rotator
installation, etc. (including the Hazer and other methods of bringing the
antenna system closer to the ground).  If everything is installed correctly
the first time, there's no reason that anything would have to be done for
years. The first failure mode is typically the rotator so you plan on a
rotator swap every 8-10 years or so. IMO the increase in mechanical
complexity and potential hazards introduced (including removing the guy wires
for the Hazer - shudder!) do not justify the perceived access to the top of
the tower. YMMV.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -