[TowerTalk] mechanical construction of 80m vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mechanical construction of 80m vertical
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Fri Mar 21 22:08:30 2003
Use multiple wires, cemented to circumference, ID or OD, to create a
'cage' to broaden the bandwidth.

I have three antennas, up to 58', that I use for field day, made of
telescoped 3" and 2" aluminum irrigation pipe.  One person can erect any
of them.  They are telescoped with two aluminum bushings, one fastened
to the bottom of the 2" and fitted to slide inside the 3", and the other
fastened to the top of the 3" and fitted to slide over the 2".   A 20
meter 5/8 wave, with tuning network at the base and a set of radials
attached to a 4' X 4' aluminum plate under the antenna will show you
what the attenuator is needed for!

When telescoped to minimum length, just over 20', these can be carried
on a car top.

Bases are tripods holding 3" plastic pipe, split so it can clamp to the
3" aluminum.  I intended to make stainless coupling sleeves, but didn't
have time the first year, so used copper flashing.  It rained Saturday
evening, and oxide was heavy next day in the  joint of aluminum to
copper.  Used OxGuard next time, just to see, and had no more trouble
with oxide.  Copper was nice to solder to a lead to a UHF connector.
 Worked so well, I never changed them.

I did put one up for a base station for a time.  It stood OK, but I
worried about wind, so I added guys.  It buckled about 10' above the
base in a moderate wind as a result of combined bending and downward
load of the guys.

73 de WO?W