[TowerTalk] vertical mast calculations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] vertical mast calculations
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Sun Mar 23 13:24:58 2003

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:15:24 -0800 "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
writes:
> I just ran across the following QEX article on the ARRL web site:
> http://www.arrl.org/qex/1123.pdf
>
> It gives all the necessary design equations, etc. for unguyed
> towers.
>
> The article references an excel spreadsheet available as well.
> (http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/) look for Travanty.zip
>
> Jim, W6RMK

Thanks a lot for that tip. The spreadsheet is very easy
to use, and imported fine into Quattro Pro. It includes mast
bending moment calculations. It was fun to crank the tower
up and down, and vary the windspeed.

The main assumption though, is that the failure points are at
either the tower base, or the mast at the thrust bearing. If
there is an unusually weak link in the tower, other than those
two, the spreadsheet is not valid.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ