[TowerTalk] Manual crank up modofication for motor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Manual crank up modofication for motor
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Tue Mar 25 10:45:20 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:52:13 -0800 "Michael Hatzakis, Jr"
<mike@hatzakis.net> writes:

> I would like to hear from those of you that have managed to retrofit
> a motor
> onto the crank of a manual crank up tubular tower, such as the US
> Tower
> MA-550.  What kind of approach did you use and where did you get the
> parts... At this point, rather crank then spend $1700 more... maybe
> I'll
> feel differently in a few years...!

I once motorized an LM-470, which has a 40:1 winch.
I used a 3/4 hp, capacitor start, 1800 rpm motor, obtained
from Sears.

I used a belt and pulley, with the smallest pulley I could
find used on the motor, and the largest one I could find,
about 12" diameter, on the winch.

The motor was mounted on a piece of plywood, which was attached
to the bottom section of the tower on a hinge, such that
the weight of the motor provided the only tension on the belt.
Viewed from the side, the motor and winch were on the same horizontal
level, and the plywood base was horizontal, stabilized by the belt
tension.

When not using the equipment, it was all removed from the tower
and stored indoors. There was no safety shroud or limit switches,
so you had to pay attention when raising and lowering.

I sold this tower, with all the motorizing stuff, to N6NB, and
I still see it at ham conventions every now and then, mounted on
a trailer. Wayne says it still works fb.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ