[TowerTalk] baloon supported wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] baloon supported wire verticals
From: w4zw@comcast.net (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Fri Apr 4 10:12:06 2003
Hi Jerry,

I have considered something along this line for our FD.  We usually use
a 80M full wave delta loop that has the top corners up about 30' and
tilted to about 10' above ground on the low end.  It always works well
beyond our expectations (we run QRP) on 80 and is low noise.  But since
we operate on an island in the Gulf of Mexico, the noise level tends to
be very low, even with verticals.     I have considered using a single
balloon  with the side guys spread so we could suspend a diamond shaped
loop under it;  or even four guys to suspend a 80M and a 40M at right
angles.  My only experience with a balloon was as others have reported .
.  Even in a slight breeze, the balloon has a severe tilt and I always
worried about the antenna becoming fouled in the palm trees, wearing
through the wire and flying into the sky.

Try a tilted full wave loop, it works great for a domestic exercise like
FD.  You can also load it on other bands with a tuner.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

*After reading this and a little more thought.....has anyone
*tried using two baloons with a dipole strung between them?
*Use two anchor lines on each baloon pulling away from the
*other baloon in an X pattern.  Or that about an 80m or 160m
*loop using 4 or more baloons (each anchored with 2 or more
*lines)?? I don't have modeling software experience so would
*anyone be willing to model these at say 200 to 300 ft?? I am
*in an area where most large level areas are not on the
*mountain tops or have clear views to the horizon.  The baloon
*method might make a difference on our local club's field day
*results. Any thoughts or comments?? Thanks in advance. JerryC  KC8TES
*