[TowerTalk] Above the Thrust Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Above the Thrust Bearing
From: k3bz@arrl.net (Jerry K3BZ)
Date: Mon Apr 7 19:05:24 2003
I've received several good comments and ideas, thanks. What I'm really
concerned about is the aluminum mast and the aluminum tower sleeve wearing
away slowly from metal-to-metal contact. But grease isn't the only way to
keep them from actually touching.  What about some sort of "bushing" to fit
between the mast and the sleeve?

I was thinking of a section of thin-wall pvc of appropriate diameter and
wall thickness, sliced length-wise and inserted betwen the mast and sleeve
on opposite sides of the mast, then clamped to the mast above and below the
sleeve. The idea would be for the pvc to be sacrificed and replaced every
few years as necessary. I'm no engineer and I don't even play one on TV, so
any comments from those more talented than I?
Jerry K3BZ