[TowerTalk] ATB-34 Follow-up Questions from WA2T

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ATB-34 Follow-up Questions from WA2T
From: BobbyTrip@aol.com (BobbyTrip@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 7 23:03:12 2003
Hello to the list, I joined and have a follow-up question about the ATB-34 I
just bought.  BTW, Thanks very much to the numerous people who responded on
my (guest) message that was posted from my work email address.  Now, the
question(s):

Traps.  They all look good, but how to identify the once uniquely color coded
15M (2 Red, 2 Black, 2 nothing) pairs?  No, the person who took this apart
did not mark them.  Interestingly, they all seem to resonate at 19 MHz
according to my Heathkit GDO (not sure how accurate that is on frequency).
No real difference from what I can tell with the GDO.  I have been able to
identify what looks to be the residual aluminum stain from the marker on a
few of them, but it is not likely that I will get them back where they belong
or paired correctly.  Anyone have thoughts or experience on dealing with this
problem I unwittingly have inherited?  Along the same lines, anyone have the
2 page Cushcraft Trap Troubleshooting blurb I have heard exists?  I wrote
asking for it but no dice so far...  It was also suggested to me that the
traps may be out of resonance due to the age of the coax.  The coax actually
looks great from what I can see of it, and has the ends still sealed with
caps and some sort of sealant.  The inside where they connect to the coils I
assume are not sealed, but I cannot really inspect them inside the tubes and
do not want to take them apart.  I am inclined to leave them be and go with
it, assuming that I am not wasting my time due to the 15M
pairing/identification issue.

Manual in hand, I have inventoried what I received.  The tubing traps and
unique hardware is all there.  Many of the tubing clamps (for the split
tubes) are not.  For these I am sure SS hose clamps would work fine and are
probably better than the originals.  Also, U-bolts of various sizes are
missing.  Where is a good place to get this sort of HW?  SS would be
preferred.  Are any manufacturers offering HW kits?  For instance, it has
been suggested the A4S is similar (if not identical) and uses SS HW.

Lastly, I have the balun that came with the antenna.  More than one person
has said throw it away and do the feedline coil thing.  Is this as good as a
balun? (I know it is a balun of sorts, but does it truly drive both sides of
the element?)  Limited knowledge and casual observation tells me it does not,
although I am not the expert.  Thoughts?

Any help with this dinosaur would be appreciated.  My first beam after so
many years as a ham, and I go and buy a basket case...  Should I not bother
and go buy a new one?

73,

Bob, WA2T