[TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 Bearing
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed Apr 9 21:31:09 2003
The several Rohn TB-3 bearings that I have used usually
seem a little rough when turned by hand, but I have not
had them bind (see below).  They come with no grease
inside, no grease fitting and no hole for one.  Since the
bearings are not sealed, I doubt very much they are
designed to be greased since the grease would both
leak out and what didn't would get contaminated quite
easily.

With the Rohn design, I have found the bearing binds
when its set screw (used to access the ball bearings and
take it apart) is screwed in too far or not far enough.
Also,  I've heard the bearings can also bind if the
aluminum races' surfaces become rough (I've never seen
this personally).

Mike N2MG