[TowerTalk] Painting fiberglass antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting fiberglass antennas
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 13:02:14 2003
In a message dated 4/12/03 6:35:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
CGooden@insightbb.com writes:

> I purchase a used Diamond 2 m / 70 cm base station antenna.  I
>  notices some of the paint was coming off with in one foot of the tip
>  of the antenna.  Before I put this antenna up I was wondering if
>  anyone could tell me if there is any special paint that I should use
>  to spray the antenna with.  Or will local hardware supply Krylon do
>  the trick?

    Does the manufacturer say anything about it? Probably not.

    This is purely an aesthetics issue. Since it's going to be X number of
feet up in the air, then it's not much of a 'looks' problem. You may be
introducing a minor problem by using paint which probably has metal particles
in suspension. Is it a big problem? Probably not.

    Is it okay to paint it? Sure. Is it okay not to paint it? Sure. Doesn't
make much difference either way.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -