[TowerTalk] Concrete suggestions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete suggestions
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed Apr 16 15:16:45 2003
Roger:

     The sloping front yard complicates your project a bit.  I can offer a
few suggestions, though:

o   Check with the concrete plant.  Maybe they can send someone to scope out
the site in advance.  If the truck can make it next to the excavation,
you're golden.
o   Pumping the concrete (you had mentioned this idea).  But it will likely
be expen$ive.  And don't forget that the pump/hose has to be cleaned of
concrete by the operator before he leaves your property.  This means you'll
end up with concrete on the ground somewhere, unless you calculate the pour
exactly and it all goes into the hole.
o   Renting something called a Georgia Buggie.  It's a motorized wheelbarrow
(half-cuyd at a time) that is rear-driven and it has hydraulic dump controls
for the bucket.  I had rented one of these things for my tower project,
expecting, like you, that the concrete truck could not reach the hole.  I
was wrong; the driver very skillfully maneuvered his rig right next to the
hole.  But I confirmed what many on this reflector have warned about - the
Georgia Buggie might have a tendency to upset due to the bouncy tires and
high center of gravity.  Beware if you go this route.
o   Have a concrete party.  That is, invite (bribe?) a half dozen of your
closest and most masochistic friends to your place for the delivery of the
concrete.  Ask them to bring along wheelbarrows.  Then you can form a chain
gang to take turns in delivering and placing the material into the
excavation.  And set down plywood sheets for the 'barrows to travel on.
Lots easier and more stable than on dirt.  It'll take a while this way but
it sure beats mixing on-site by hand.
o   Mixing on-site by hand.  Last resort - sorry!  But rent an electric- or
gas-powered cement mixer to do the work.  And solicit the above-mentioned
friends to help cart the bags to the site.

     I would put rebar into the pour, but I'd be violating the Prime
Directive - Do what the manufacturer says.  Caveat Amateur!

GL es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F