[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 18:27:06 2003
In a message dated 4/17/03 10:18:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> > K3BU:
>  >So you are saying that self supporting towers have "weaker legs" than
guyed
>  >towers? Look around!
>  >Again, with guys, legs in the self supporting tower share the vertical
load.

>  >Yes there is some additional vertical component from the guy, but that is
> way
>  >below what would break the legs.
>

>  I don't think it's possible to make such a blanket statement.  The only
>  right answer would be "it depends."  The only thing you know for sure is
>  that guying a self-supporting tower is putting forces on it that it is not
>  designed for.  There may be plenty of margin, or there may not.

That is the example of wrong blanket statement. Force induced by guy wires is
fractional from the forces that self-supporting tower is experiencing when
alone. Again there is no need to tension the guy wires as in properly
designed guyed tower, some slack is preferred.

Yuri, K3BU