[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat Apr 19 12:30:59 2003
Taking one's breath away is a measure of psychological effect. Inches
is the physical measure and can be seen with a transit on the ground.
These are not self-contradictory statements.

The movement of even an inch profoundly "stirs up" some folks' juices,
others seem impervious (K7LXC has no nerves).

The human body does not like falls, and normally has autonomic
walking if your foot unexpectedly slides an inch, and the instant,
un-thought-out response to it, including a quick adrenalin pump.

A guyed tower DOES move in a high wind. And for a lot of us, that's a
considerable pucker factor.

I don't need a PhD expert to tell me what I've experienced and felt
and seen. Don't need to find it in a book. I'm completely confident
what anyone will find if they check it out themselves. Except being up
the tower in a sudden windstorm, and deciding it's smarter to hold on
belted up and ride out the gusts instead of trying to climb down,
ain't exactly what I'd recommend as entertainment for my friends.

The Trylon tower is a pyramid that is 48 inches across at the base and
angles to as little as nine inches across at the top. It is not a long
thin cylinder like Rohn 25, etc.

There is no question that the Trylon is far less flexible in the wind.
The difference is like standing with your feet spread well apart or
standing with your feet pushed together. The Rohn will move under wind
force until the guy changes shape (stretches - if you must - or
un-droops) to what it would have been in zero wind if it was first
tensioned to the sum of design AND the wind-induced tension.

Just from remarks heard over the years there is not a general
appreciation for how much force a 50 mph wind exerts on a tower and
antennas. Perhaps all that means is that most folks are smart enough
not to be up there in such a circumstance, and happily don't have any
gut-wrenching personal experience with it.

The tension on the guys IS the point of the design, not the shape. Out
at classical WCPE FM in Wake Forest, NC, the 1200 foot guyed tower
there has enormous droop in the guys. It stood up to Hurricane Fran.

The station's general manager, a friend of mine, who was out there
with some of her crew during the night riding out the hurricane and
keeping the station on the air during the power outage, said she could
plainly see the lights up top waving around. The engineer in her said
that's the design, the gut-lurch in her said it's coming down any
minute now. Engineer won, happily.

73, Guy.