[TowerTalk] Choice of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Choice of antennas
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed Apr 23 23:57:28 2003
on 4/23/03 11:10 AM, yo3ctk at yo3ctk@alltrom.ro wrote:

> As far as I can see, the only real contenders may be Force 12 C4XL or SXL or
> Cushcraft X9 or X7 combined with an XM240.

Mike,

I would go with the F-12 C4SXL.  It has 2 elements on 40 meters and covers
20, 15 and 10 as well.  It's definitely a very good antenna.  Someone else
mentioned the XR-6.  That's even better, but I think it's a much bigger and
much more expensive antenna.  The C4SXL was my antenna of choice and I was
going to buy one until I got a great deal on a Bencher Skyhawk and bought
that instead.  Still I debated because having 2 elements on 40m would be
VERY nice indeed.

And I'd go with the F-12 over Cushcraft.  The CC model X9 still uses traps
in the director elements.  Curshcraft claims these elements don't have a lot
of current flowing through them and so the loss is minimized.  That's not
really true.  The directors actually do have significant current flowing in
them.

I think the research done by K7LXC shows the F-12 antennas to be some of the
best out there.

73,

Jon
NA9D