[TowerTalk] Lifting a TX472 off a semi & cost of pumpingconcrete in my

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lifting a TX472 off a semi & cost of pumpingconcrete in my area
From: k0myw@att.net (k0myw@att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 13:05:22 2003
Dan,

I employed a wrecker to lift my U.S. Towers HDX-555 out of a semi trailer when
it arrived.

Make sure the towing company understands that you require a wrecker with an
extendable hydraulic boom. Ideally you'll want to extend the boom into the
trailer to near the midpoint of the tower for smooth exit and one-step
delivery to the base site.

The wrecker should have necessary straps or chains with which to grab the
tower. If not, a simple vehicle towing strap will work fine, if you have one
in the trunk of your car.

Have at least one other person available to help you "steer" the tower as it
dangles from the wrecker's boom during the trip to the base site.

The wrecker outfit charged me $25 for performing this chore, and I slipped the
driver an extra 10 bucks. If your driver is like mine, he'll get interested in
this unusual assignment and will be willing to take extra steps to ensure safe
completion of the delivery.

MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Don't do any of the above before crawling into the trailer
and personally giving the tower a thorough look-see. The first time a tower
was delivered to me, I discovered it had been damaged in transit by a
dunderheaded forklift operator. I refused delivery -- which is easier to do
while the tower remains on the trailer, in control of the trucking company.
(By the way, U.S. Tower was very good to work with in this situation. They
didn't balk at taking back the tower, and sent out another in timely fashion.)

If for some reason it's impossible for the wrecker to deposit the tower
directly at the base site -- and if you don't have several willing strong
backs to help you lug the thing the final few feet -- I found that an
automotive engine hoist handled my tower easily. Of course, I had the luxury
of firm asphalt pavement right up to the tower base; you probably would have
to lay down sturdy plywood or some other temporary "pavement" to protect the
lawn and prevent the hoist's small wheels from sinking into the turf.

Gud luk!

Mike KØMYW