[TowerTalk] anchor failure from corrosion?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] anchor failure from corrosion?
From: coneal@attbi.com (Chuck O'Neal)
Date: Wed Apr 30 23:58:47 2003
Yes, I caught significant corrosion with the 5/8" dia. Rohn supplied guy anchor
rods
about 3 years ago during an inspection of  a tower I installed about 20 years
previously.
About 6" below the earth the galvanizing was partially gone and there was
noticeable
pitting of the remaining steel, reducing the diameter by perhaps an 1/16" of an
inch after
wire brushed all the rust off.  I then put on a cold galvanizing paint and now
inspect it
yearly.
I did this inspection because this guy anchor was in a damp area. It was in an
area of
lots of
vegetation and the soil was acidic, due to a lot of oak trees and their leaves.

No problems since, but I see evidence that suggests that the galvanizing
doesn't hold up
as
you would like.

I would also like to see if anyone else has observed  this.  How many of you
are living
with
towers you put up 20+ years ago?

73,