[TowerTalk] 20M Gap Titan very Early results

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20M Gap Titan very Early results
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun May 11 16:26:52 2003
Paul,

It's been almost six years since I've used my GAP Titan. It's still erected
in the woods as an emergency backup antenna, but now that I have at least
two other superior antennas on each band from 80-15, I doubt I'll ever use
it. My recollection is that the GAP Titan is a pretty good antenna on 40, 20
and 15. I worked lots of DX and a fair number of contest stations on those
bands for over two years. As I said, it's a dummy load on 80m and I've never
found a ground-mounted vertical that could do anything on 10m (but you won't
have to worry about that for very long, since 10m will be leaving us soon!)
No problem pumping 1500w into the bands above 80m. I would have to say that
performance on 20m was the best of the lot, followed closely by 15.

40m was pretty good for a multiband vertical with no radials. I later built
a single full-size 40m monopole with 60 radials (the first element of my
4-square), and was able to compare it side-by-side with the GAP. Hard to
remember now, but I think the monopole was 10-20dB better. I periodically
had to play around with the GAP counterpoise to get proper matching on 40m.
As I recall, snow would sometimes knock the 40m tuning around. Another
problem was that bugs (spiders, I think) would build nests inside the
insulators at the end of the crossed tubes that support the counterpoise
wires. When the nests got wet, a path was created between the wire and
tubing. The resulting arc would leave a carbon trail in the plastic
insulator that was impossible to remove -- replacement was the only fix. If
the design still uses those little sections of PVC for insulators, some
non-conductive plastic mesh around each one might be good insurance.

73, Dick WC1M