[TowerTalk] Erecting a 40' Universal tilt base tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Erecting a 40' Universal tilt base tower
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Thu May 15 23:36:00 2003
I tilt my 60 foot Universal, with a rotator, 16' mast, tri-bander, and a
VHF antenna.    I cast two pieces of steel, 1/2" X 2" X 1' and 2' apart
into the base.  A gin pole (I don't know what to call it) hinges on
these, on 1/2" bolts, on the side away from the tower hinges.  The Gin
pole is 20' long, two 2 X 6 X 20' legs, braced with horizontal 2 X 6s
between the legs and diagonal steel angle irons,' 2' wide at the base
and tapering to 2" wide between the legs at the top.  A 1/2" bolt
through the tops of the legs, spaced on a 2" long piece of pipe that
serves as a spacer.  3/4" NYLON  rope from a tower leg at 20', to the
gin pole, around the spacer, and back to the other tower leg (legs on
the hinge side).  Twenty feet from top of gin pole to tower.  Another
3/4" NYLON rope from a horizontal member on the loader on my tractor, to
the top of the gin pole,  around the spacer, and back to the horizontal
member on the loader.

I tie another, lighter rope to the tower down to a hitch on my truck.  I
release the third tower leg so it can hinge, take up slack in the rope
to the tractor, and pull the tower off-center with the truck.  Truck is
off the center line of the tower so neither the tower nor the antenna
will hit the truck.  Lock truck in place; it will stop the tower before
it slams into its base fittings as I pull it back up.

Turn antenna so short end of boom will touch ground before any antenna
element does.  Stop before boom hits ground.

Gently let tower tilt, holding it with the tractor.  Don't let it go
fast.  Gentle!!!   Place a strong support under the tower before working
on antennas.  I loosen fittings on the antenna so I can rotate the boom
to parallel to the mast if I want it lower.  I mounted the antennas and
raise and lower this by myself.  That's the price of having no neighbors
to complain about the tower and possible interference.

Pull it up with the tractor, until the rope to the truck comes taut,
then let the truck move toward the tower to let the tower leg engage its
base fitting and put the bolts back.  Remove ropes and gin pole and back
to operating.

I calculated the maximum forces and found I have ample safety margin.
 Use ropes that are not old, not exposed to sunlight, and are otherwise
in good condition.

73 de WO?W