[TowerTalk] Grounding and Insurance WD4K

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding and Insurance WD4K
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com (Cqtestk4xs@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 22 16:50:09 2003
Since we are discussing insurance, I would like to give you a view from the
hurricane and lightning capitol of the US...Florida.

About two months ago, I was notified by my insurance company, that since I
had sustained two major hits in the last two years, they were going to require
me to produce evidence of installing surge protectors or lightning rods if I
wanted to continue to be insured by them.  I chose to go the bulkhead route
with
the Polyphasers.  Since I have lots of lines, it cost me almost $700 just to
protect the coax.  I think I will sleep better at night knowing that the coax
is protected.  Had I chosen not to do what the insurance company wanted I
would have had my policy cancelled.  In Florida you don't want that to happen,
since even for the non-ham, it is very difficult to get insurance if you live
within 5 or 10 miles of the Gulf or Atlantic.  And yes, I now disconnect
everything...power cords, rotors, ground, coax from the bulkhead.  Most of the
guys I
know down here do the same thing.

In case you're wondering about the two hits.  The one two summers ago was
kind of freaky.  Most of the hit went down into the ground.  However, many
homes
in Florida are insulated with AlFoil, which is kind of like aluminum foil.
The AlFoil is placed on 1 by 2 furring strips between the cement block wall and
the sheetrock.   The lightning jumped onto the AlFoil which was exposed by the
bulkhead and then went along the AlFoil until it got to a metal shelf and
jumped into the cabling I have.  The second hit was from a dangling wire from
the
beverage which had somehow fallen of the bulkhead...Zap!

After Andrew hit in the 90s, the insurance situation changed in Florida.
Unlike other most states, not all wind damge is covered, For instance, although
my towers and antennas are covered up to 10% of my home's value, my insurance
company does not insure towers and antennas in the county just three miles to
the south of me.  Furthermore, most Florida homeowners must carry special
insurance to cover wind damge from a hurricane.

The point of all this is that one must read his insurance policy carefully
and if you live in Florida it is not a matter of will I get a lighting strike.
It's when will I get hit. You better be prepared.

Bill K4XS