[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] coax ID help

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax ID help
From: (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu May 29 01:34:20 2003
This sounds like some kind of 0.500 inch CATV cable. The steel wire
is a messenger that is used to provide mechanical support when the
cable is hung above ground between utility poles. It is probably a 75
ohm cable. Are you absolutely sure the dielectric is solid and not a
foamed type? CATV cables typically use a foamed polyethylene
dielectric because the foamed dielectric will have lower loss than solid

73 de Mike, W4EF......................................................

> 2. One roll of cable with no markings at all. It appears to be a .500"
> cable, with solid aluminum center conductor, solid dielectric, and
a -solid-
> aluminum shield. The odd thing is that it is 'paired' with what seems to
> a steel wire in a single plastic jacket - the steel wire is offset .3-.5"
> from the coax - it kinda looks like twinlead, but one of the leads is on
> steroids...;-) This cable has also been out in the elements for some
> of time. Any idea what it is and if it would be useful to someone?
> thanks very much for your help! - 73 - jeff wk6i
> --
> Jeff Stai     
> Twisted Oak Winery
> Rocketry Org. of CA
> Amateur Radio           WK6I
> _______________________________________________
> See:  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless
Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any
questions and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.
> _______________________________________________
> TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>