[TowerTalk] Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (Phil - KB9CRY)
Date: Tue Jun 3 16:34:08 2003
You only need to tie one of the tower rods to the shack ground, if
possible.  That's your SPG (single point ground, even with two rods) and
everything should be tied to that, so to speak.  Yes, yes, yes, tie that
also to the service entrance ground.  Don't delay and don't listen to
the naysayers.  (Read the technical info on the Polyphaser website if
you need convincing.)  Use large single conductor wire to tie all these
together; I used #4 bare solid for my system.  Finally I heartily
recommend going the little extra and use CadWeld single shot grounding
to tie the wires to the rods.  They are not that more expensive than
clamps and require zero maintenance; one should go and retighten their
ground clamps at least twice a year.  You'd be surprised how loose they
become from outdoor temperature cyclying.  The one shots are easy to
use.  Have your local industrial/contractor electrical supply house
order them (go to www.erico.com) for part numbers or I believe Harger
sells them also (harger.com I think).  Gd luck, but do it right and you
won't be sorry.  Phil  KB9CRY