[TowerTalk] Tower Surveying Tools?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Surveying Tools?
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 15:28:46 2003
My Rohn catalog dated 1987 states that anchor alignment has a tolerance of
plus or minus 0.1 degrees.  If you have a 100' tower with an 80' guy radius
your anchor location would have a tolerance of plus or minus 1 11/16 inches.
You certainly could not site a tower leg this close by eye.  In fact it
would be difficult even with a transit.

I have used various methods already mentioned and my towers are still
standing, although probably not in tolerance.  For one house with an outside
fence I made an AutoCAD drawing and measured the anchor locations from the
walls.  I have also installed stakes at some equidistant points and used
ropes along the ground to line up the anchor.  I have also used a transit.
Even a transit is difficult you're installing anchors for an existing tower
because you can't set it up in the exact center.

73,
John