[TowerTalk] Copper strap v. Al question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Copper strap v. Al question
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu Jun 19 19:46:09 2003
Depending on why that strap is there, the DC resistance of the material is
probably less important than the inductance. The inductance is determined
by the shape (low, because it is a large flat ribbon, here), not the
material. If you're looking at 4 parallel pieces of 4" wide strap that is,
say, .030 inches thick, and 12" long, the DC resistance for copper is only
about 0.023 ohms, and for aluminum, 0.036 ohms.. neither one is
particularly high.

Skin depth goes as the square root of conductivity.. At 1 MHz, in copper it
is .066 mm (about 0.0026 inch), and in aluminum, it's 0.0043 inches. For a
large flat sheet (almost an idealized situation...) the AC resistance will
go as the square root of conductivity (skin depth is sqrt(resitivity)
deeper, so net result is resistivity/sqrt(resistivity))  This makes wide
flat sheets of aluminum less bad than they would be at DC.  (By the way,
that fairly thin skin depth means that using 1/4" plate isn't worth it)

As you say, though, electrically bonding aluminum reliably in a "homegrown"
fashion is a bit tough. Commercially, you can weld it, for
instance.  Copper could be soldered, a manufacturing technology with which
most hams are familar and reasonably proficient. TIG welding aluminum is a
bit more exotic.