[TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity
From: (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Fri Jun 20 11:14:35 2003
hmmm, my PE calculations at 80mph give a max of around 6sq ft of antenna.
Happy to show their calcs for MA-550
But to be sure, I'm putting in an electric winch to bring it down to "half
mast" whenever I don't use it. wrote:In a message dated 6/19/03 9:39:53 PM Pacific Daylight
Time, writes:

> Where did those numbers come from? AFAIK, the MA-550
> barely survives 80 MPH with no antenna on top. I see
> no way you can do what you propose unless you crank
> the tower down whenever you are off the air (and don't
> get on the air when it is windy).
True. King County here is WA has an 85 MPH rating. The last MA tower I
installed here was PE rated at a 25 pound load at that windspeed. Your rotator
and mast will fit but no antennas.

Steve K7LXC

See: for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless Weather
Stations", and lot's more. Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions
and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.

TowerTalk mailing list

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions

Do you Yahoo!?