[TowerTalk] Using plywood forms...??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using plywood forms...??
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun Jun 29 21:50:02 2003
In normal dirt, there's no point to using plywood aside from making
the *TOP* neat to see. Underground, concrete on undisturbed earth is
best.

Some soils are so crumbly that the hole won't keep its shape no matter
what you do. That is a special situation that needs a method approved
by a local PE who knows the soil types, no matter what the factory
specs are.

Otherwise, if all you're trying to do is save a few bucks and use less
concrete than a hole larger than need be, DON'T.

If you do it anyway, REMOVE the plywood once the pour has hardened.
The earth around the base MUST be power-tamped in small layers to the
point it is as compacted as the original undisturbed earth.

If you are doing it in an area where much of the dirt was fill in the
last 5-10 years, you should power-tamp it anyway.

Personally, I like bases dug and poured in original undisturbed
clay-based hard pan. Immovable.

73 and good luck,
Guy, K2AV