[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 5 02:54:28 2003
Hi Jerry,

Here's something we at VE7VCT did on FD which may help you.  Last year
we put up several towers and used 4ft lengths of 1/2" rebar for guy
anchors.  The soil depth was about 6", after that - hardpan.  We used a
hammer drill with a beat up old core bit to drive them in.  The core bit
slipped over the end of the rebar so it wouldn't wander around.  It took
2 hours per tower of difficult work to set the anchors.

This year we got the biggest Rotary Hammer we could find (a giant Hilti)
and a 36" long carbide bit with a little smaller diameter than the
rebar.  (This year we used 3/4" rebar and I think the bit was 1/2".)  We
drilled throught the hardpan like it was butter and then pounded in the
rebar.  It was much, much, much faster and easier.

I think this could be used in your situation.  Just make sure the bit
diameter is less than that of the ground rod so the rod will make good
contact with undisturbed soil (or rocks, in your case).  When you're
renting the stuff, also rent a rod driver.  This consists of a cylinder
a few inches long and an inch or two in diameter.  It fits into the
Rotary Hammer chuck.  It will serve the same purpose for you as the core
bit did for us.  i.e. drill the hole, poke the ground rod into it,
remove the bit and install the rod driver, slip the rod driver over the
end of the ground rod, lean on the Rotary Hammer and pull the trigger.
 Careful you don't fall over as the rod rapidly vanishes into the
ground.  Careful you don't hurt yourself when the rod hits the bottom of
the hole and everything slows down.

When you rent the rotary hammer, if it doesn't impress you with it's
size it's too small.  Ours came in a plastic case somewhere between
about 24" and 30" in its longest dimension.

"Hammer Drill" describe the small stuff

"Rotary Hammer" is what you want.  Hilti is a well known brand.

Hope this helps

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO