[TowerTalk] Re: Tensioning Rohn 45G guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tensioning Rohn 45G guys
From: k2kir@telenet.net (Bud Hippisley, K2KIR)
Date: Wed Jul 9 11:02:36 2003
K1IR asks a great question -- a question that highlights an interesting
subtlety in the relationship between Rohn specs for towers and their data for
guy wires:  Rohn's tensioning rules for guy wires do *not* directly reference
tower leg strength!

Instead, the delicate relationship between proper guy wire tension and
allowable downward force on the legs of Rohn 25, 45, 55, et al. is documented
(dare I say "hidden"?) only in Rohn's choice of guy wires shown in their
drawings of tower height versus guy wire spacings.  Of course, downward force
in tower legs also comes from antenna, mast, tower, cable, and rotor dead
weight, plus the overturning moment from a generally horizontal wind load on
all those materials.  Thus, the drawings showing guy wire diameters, tensions,
and attachment heights for various heights of Rohn tower sections are valid
only when the antenna loads are less than or equal to those specified by Rohn
on those same drawings -- and they're also valid only for the size, weight,
strength, and positioning of guy wires shown.  No wonder K7LXC and others
strongly urge using the services of a PE whenever you plan to stray from the
Rohn catalog drawings!

In short, "bigger" is not always "better" when it comes to choosing guy wire
diameter or breaking strength.

Bud