[TowerTalk] Balun filler

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun filler
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Fri Jul 11 13:41:01 2003
At 12:19 PM 7/11/2003 -0500, Sam Effinger wrote:
>Question:  I am going to build a 1:1 balun and want to put in in a PVC
>pipe..the question is what can I fill the pipe with....I am thinking about
>filling the pvc pipe with that expandable foam that is used to fill cracks
>around doors etc.
>

>Is that stuff corrosive ...any heat concerns ??

The stuff's not corrosive, but it is a great thermal insulator, which is
bad in the usual bead balun, since the common mode energy is being
dissipated in the beads (or, alternately, reflected back by the open
circuit they present)

Why do you want to fill the pipe with anything (other than air?)...
Ideally, you want something that can carry the heat to the outside world,
or at least to the PVC pipe. Transformer (mineral) oil would be good,
because it will circulate as it gets warmed, but check the compatibility
with your coax jacket material and the beads.
The next best thing would be to size your PVC so that it is a snug fit to
the beads.

You could use the foam to hold the coax in place (essentially as a cap),
but other stuff might work better (epoxy, silicone, etc.)

If you really want to pot the thing, you want to choose a potting material
that has reasonably good thermal conductivity (which is where foam is
terrible), and that has a thermal expansion coefficient that reasonably
matches the ferrites (so it doesn't break apart slowly as it temperature
cycles every day).

The usual plastics vendors (GE, Silpak, etc.) can advise you on potting
materials.

Jim, W6RMK