[TowerTalk] Re: lightning suppression on cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: lightning suppression on cable
From: jim.wil@cox.net (Jim Wilcox)
Date: Sat Jul 12 11:40:51 2003
Several years ago, I was quite fortunate to attend a seminar about lightning
protection presented by one of GE's lightning experts.  He had worked for
their mobile radio group in Lynchburg, VA.  Unfortunately, I can't lay my
hands on the notes I took, or remember the man's name.  (I do remember that
his surname was the same as that of a popular folk singer--maybe
"Guthrie"--funny how the mind works!  I'll probably find my notes or
remember his name right after I push the "send" button.)  He was a ham, and
I believe he became an SK a few years ago.

One of his stories (he was a most delightful speaker) was about working in a
lightning-prone area where some appliances (primarily air conditioners, as I
recall) were being damaged or ruined by surges induced by lightning.  He
hypothesized that tying overhand knots in the power cords would provide good
protection.  Interestingly, as I recall, he also suggested six knots.  As I
recall (I hate to keep saying that), he said that they never lost another
air conditioner after that.

He showed us a power cord that had been taken from an AC unit after a storm.
It had a half-dozen knots in it and several of them obviously had been
"fried" by high voltage--melted insulation. etc.  He said that the AC unit
had survived.

Knots in power cords?  You betcha!

73

Jim, W3WV