[TowerTalk] Balun filler

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun filler
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sat Jul 12 13:27:26 2003
When Chuck C. wrote about burning up his balun I wondered if there wasn't
something better to use as filler to dissipate the heat.  The only reason I
could come up with for using foam was to cushion the beads so they don't
smack into each other and crack if the thing gets dropped.  I wondered if
dissipation and shock absorption could be combined by suspending the beads
in the center of the pvc pipe by putting them inside metal tubes that would
be in the centers of Xs made of metal ribbon that would dissipate heat with
a heat conductive compound between the bead surfaces and the insides of the
metal tubing.  Then some vent holes could be cut in the pvc to let air move
in and out.  I figured that would be the way to do it, but something like
this would cost so much to make it would sell for $300 and no one would buy
it.  You get a pipe stuffed with foam because that's what the market can
sustain.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ